The Proof is in the Process

July 9, 2011 — Leave a comment

Proverbs 16:3 “Put God in charge of your work, then what you’ve planned will take place.”

Proverbs 16:7 “When God approves of your life, even your enemies will end up shaking your hand.”

These scriptures are easy to read and often the “selling point” for non-Christians to make their conversion. Every new Christian has a thought in the back of their minds that comes in after they start to get a grasp on the incredible forgiveness and mercy they just experienced. We are all guilty of it! Some call it a “God complex”, I call it “the superhero in your pocket phenomenon.” Every Christian has read scriptures like Proverbs 16:3,7 and felt like God is now their own personal superhero that will step in at anytime to save the day………..the bible does say, “If God is for us who can be against us” (Romans 8:31).

Unfortunately that is not how these verses are to be interpreted. In our fast paced lives we have been trained to filter through information and get to the end as quickly as possible. Name one person who doesn’t go straight to the bottom of a receipt to look at the total before ciphering through the purchases………..you can’t. That’s exactly what many people do with scriptures in the bible. They go straight to the end and forget about the process of how they got there. “Things taking place”(vs. 3)  and “enemies shaking your hand” (vs. 7) will never happen unless you get the process perfected.

This brings me to my next point. After studying the current retention rate of Christians I was baffled. I found that only 10% of converted Christians stick with their new way of life. I’m not a math major but I think that leaves 90% of conversions going back to THEIR previous lifestyle. SAD! The reason for this partly falls with the local church and its failure to follow up with new Christians. However, the remaining fault remains in people who are getting saved so they can have a “superhero in their pocket.” They want the benefits of being a child of God without committing to a life that honors him. God didn’t send his son to die a sacrificial death for us so we could keep him tucked away, only call on him when we need him. The proof is in the process…….”Put God in charge of your work” and “when God approves of your life” are parts of the processes that we must do in order for God to work on our behalf.

~Aaron

Advertisements

No Comments

Be the first to start the conversation!

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out / Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out / Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out / Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out / Change )

Connecting to %s